Are my brakes getting too hot on track?

Are my brakes getting too hot?

Sometimes it's very difficult to know whether or not your brakes are getting too hot while cruising around a track and hitting some heavy braking zones. The Alfa Romeo Giulia/Stelvio come with a brake by wire (BBW) system by Continental, the MK C1. One of the biggest issues with these BBW systems is that you don't always know how hot the brakes are getting.

Normally, over-heating brakes usually manifests itself as a spongy *soapy* pedal, or worse yet, the inability to press the pedal hard enough to stop as quickly as you'd like. Vehicles equipped with BBW systems will increase or decrease the applied brake hydraulic pressure necessary to slow the vehicle down based on your brake pedal input. As the brakes get hotter, and the coefficient of friction of the brake pad to the rotor decreases, the BBW system increases the applied hydraulic pressure, yet you are left unaware of this event and are none the wiser. Eventually there will not be enough hydraulic pressure to stop/slow the vehicle in a timely fashion.

The simple work-around / solution is to determine how hot your brakes are getting by applying temperature reactive paint to the edge of your brake rotors. Usually, the front rotors are going to be the biggest heat generators, but feel free to coat front and rear. There is no reason to do both left and right, unless you suspect there is an issue and need to investigate.

You can see that I’m using the Genesis Brake Temp Paint. I like this style as opposed to the other options as it is a single paint color application. The other temp paints come in different colors that represent a different temperature range. With that style, once a color has disappeared, that is the temperature that the rotor got up to. It’s a lot fussier than the Genesis Brake Temp Paint IMO. One color application, test, read, done.

NOTE: The paint is one time use only. Once it changes color, it will not revert back to red. If you make any modifications to your brake cooling and need to retest, you will need to re-paint the rotor edge.

The paint will change color based on the temperature reached during braking.

Liberal application of Genesis Brake Temp Paint:

Drive like a crazy person; read temperature:

Front (BEIGE?):

Rear (YLW/GRN?):